Wednesday, January 4, 2012

How did I get here?

         Yes, it’s a new year, and yes, I’m on a diet once again.  But as I said in my first post, this desire to improve who I am began around September 2011 and I have been gathering information and resources to take me down the path I feel will have the end result of being closer to my Creator.  More like He made me.  I don’t believe He makes junk.  So in that effort to be more in line with His desires for my body . . . I embark on this health quest.

Back in September, I read on a website about the best “diet” is one you develop yourself . . . AS LONG AS . . . the foods in your food plan are both nutritious and delicious.  For the past 2 weeks, I’ve been experimenting on what foods I can do without, and what foods I really like that are both delicious and nutritious. This formula was said to naturally guide me to my personal perfect diet. 

Nutritious foods I like include, dried apricots, prunes, dates, brown rice, salad, broccoli, portabello mushrooms, salmon, chicken for starters.

Delicious foods I like include ZOI Greek Yogurt, coconut oil, avocados, pineapple, grapefruit and Vita muffins.

I’m sure I’ll be able to add to this list as I try new foods that have been there all along, but I just passed them by.  Treasure within our reach.

A treasure I will sorely miss is my Aunt Frances who passed away this morning (January 3) at 6 am in her sleep.  She was an amazing woman, kind-hearted and open-spirited.  96 years she could always be found smiling.  I love her and will miss her.

So . . . I am embarking on a food journey, trying to find my right path.  To walk upon that path, I will need strength and agility.  I will need to tone my body in a method that allows me to determine my course.  Nia is what I have chosen.  I sat through the Global Unity DVD to watch the feel of the movements, watch the individual interpretations of the other dancers, to see where I needed to practice certain moves.

I am encouraged with the happiness I see on the faces of the dancers.  From what I have read Nia practice will heighten my sense of well-being and will also have the side effect of building muscle and losing fat.  I have not attempted it yet, and the book, The Nia Technique, encourages a slow and gradual entrance into the body work of Nia.  I’ll let you know as I progress.

I started today to begin from Lesson One of Marianne Williamson’s course in weight loss.  I’ve listened all the way through all 6 CDs and I am aware this course takes active participation.  I know in this first lesson, I will be “Tearing Down the Wall”, the wall of suppressed emotions expressed in layers of fat, hiding me from being hurt again. I know too, that there is a humongous list to choose from!  And each one that applies to you, she wants you to “Don’t go unconscious, write it all out.”  Wow. I’m pretty sure I’ll be in Chapter 1 for some time, but because I have listened through the whole CD set, I know that it is all for a purpose, to retrain those neuropathways to new ways of thinking, which leads to new ways of feeling.
Feelings lead to much of my eating.  Even before Seth died Christmas Eve 2009, I battled my weight. I’m learning that the reasons are complex and poorly understood by my conscious self, but I’m on my way to “awareness”.  I am sure Seth’s passing helped direct me here . . . a tremendously bittersweet thought for me.
So . . . I’ve touched on 3 areas of my metamorphosis training =)
1. Creating a healthy food plan
2. Learning more about Nia
3. Journaling

Who cares what tomorrow may bring, we have the now


Dora


*Nia and Marianne Williamson links can be found in my very first first post.

(Aunt) Frances Koller
December 2, 1915 - January 3, 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment