Monday, January 30, 2012

Dare to Dream Different . . .

. . . and to do that, you have to "Take Time To Dream".  That's the name of the mini-booklet I put together for the Dare to Dream Different Art Challenge, over at Sandy Babb's Quill Cottage.  That is what this challenge helped me to do, take time. . . then take time to dream.  Through Sandy's introspective musings, I too was challenged both by the theme of the challenge and in fulfilling the spirit of it. I needed to enter into it with something new to me I am new to the blogoshpere, just started this month. I am new to challenges, too.  So I want to thank you Sandy for presenting this challenge at the perfect time in my journey.  I loved doing it and I feel I'm already a winner from the personal insights gained.


 I have never made a mini-booklet.  I gathered information online, but to do the accordion style I had in mind, I was supposed to use one long sheet of paper.  But that was for a really mini, mini booklet.  I wanted to use larger pictures, so I sewed 4 sections together to make my 10 page booklet. But for me, the most important part was the words, ie., Words to Live By. The words came first (part of that "taking time" process -  you can read a little about it here).  I chose which of the barefoot girls on Sandy's site would fit my story, except I always knew I would use the one with the crane.  Then I sought images on the web to express my other thoughts, put all of them through Photoshop Elements to add the vintage old-photo brown coloring, as well as the glow evident in many of the pictures to give them a dream-like quality. Added some digital scrapbook elements, printed a pattern onto the back side of the pages,did some hand stamping, "gilded" the edges with a gold leaf pen and sewed the pages together. Created a digital collage for the front and back covers, added a title and here you are. . . Take Time To Dream   
































In dreams . . . I am a little girl again, innocent, trusting, hopeful.

I believe I can do anything.  Nothing is too silly, too odd to try.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not even tying a ribbon around a bird, expecting to be lifted up with him as he takes off in flight.

On his wings, I see the earth below, I feel so free. 
Anything is possible . . . in my dreams.


















I am learning to live my dreams, grabbing creativity around the neck,


looking down on the walls of doubt and fear I had built around me. 


 From here they seem so small.















And the more I dream, the more I see of that little girl . . .


. . . running barefoot through fields of light, innocent, trusting, hopeful.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Come fly with me . . .














Thank you all for coming by . . . 


Dora




PS. (If you'd really like the rest of the details, say so in your comment and I'll gladly fill you in.)




Words to Live By
Avalon Steampunk

10 comments:

  1. Dora, I took a closer look all the way through. I'm so touched by the thought you put into this project and the beauty of it...the images and the words. Lovely, lovely, altogether lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, your kind words touched me too. Words can be beautiful, like yours. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Dora,
    What an amazing booklet you created......truly! It's stunning.
    You have a real talent....hope to see more from you..:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail,
      Thank you for making me feel so welcome, I look forward to getting to know you better, too. And thank you too for your thoughtful comments.

      Delete
  3. Your booklet is so precious. You did a very creative project with lots of heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for recognizing the part of me I put in there. Very sweet of you.

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a pretty project! Wasn't it fun to do something different? Sandy has challenged us all!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and yes, Sandy "made me do it", you can't blame me!!!! A lot of fun, and nice meeting you all too.

      Delete
  5. Thank you, thanks for commenting

    ReplyDelete